Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Beginning

So about 18 years ago I got my first tattoo. It was delightfully spontaneous in that I changed my mind even as we walked back to the room. I saw a cool dragon on the wall and asked to have that emblazoned on my arm for life instead of whatever it was I had picked out before. Two other tattoos followed. While I certainly liked the artwork, there was not a whole lot of meaning behind them. Fast forward 7 years to when I began dating Erin - who turned out to be the love of my life and mother of my amazing son 7 years after we began dating. Through deep cultural investigations of the Chinese zodiac at a Chinese restaurant, we realized that Erin was born in the Year of the Dragon. And since there are no coincidences in life, the choice for my first tattoo became retroactively prophetic. It was nice to have meaning ascribed to my dragon.

So 18 years after getting my first tattoo and 16 years since the most recent, I am about to get another one. This time, however, I searched for a symbol with meaning first. It only makes sense to have something in honor of our son, now four. He was born in the Year of the Dog. I was born in the Year of the Rabbit. Dogs are much cooler than rabbits. Dog it is. Or maybe a combo dragon, dog, rabbit...nah. I've chosen a Celtic dog design. I have the artist picked out. And I have the money. Just need to schedule. Then Erin tells me I really need to start writing. We've talked about writing many times over the years. I agree and will get around to it sooner or later. But Erin knows me, if I don't start writing, the tattoo money will be absorbed by the household finance section of the budget. Exactly the impetus I need. So here goes. A blanketyblankblog.

1 comment:

  1. I like your first post better than my first post. http://www.rachelsramblings.com/2004/03/finally-found-spot-to-ramble.html

    Thanks for tattoo-ing the Internet with your writing. Very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete